Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Special Edition: My Lung Transplant Journey, October 15, 2014 - Kudos to the Care Crew

Wow, today I celebrate 3 weeks with new lungs! I can't believe it! Nearly everything seems like a brand-new experience because despite some pain, discomfort, and fatigue, I can breathe so much better now than I have in years!

My successful recovery would not have been possible without an awesome crew who took great care of me before and after my transplant on J82 - the lung/heart transplant floor at the Cleveland Clinic. From the lovely ladies who brought my meals to the excellent nursing staff, I can't say enough good things about these dedicated people!

Here are a few photos that represent just part of the care team.


This is character is Cisco. He kept me laughing! He's one of the many patient care assistants on the floor who are responsible for vitals and helping with daily personal tasks. We secretly called them "greenies" because they wear green of course!


We are strong! This is Shawn, the physical therapist assistant who kicked my butt out of bed and kept me moving!  We're showing off my "Mighty Shake" pose because I had to drink them everyday to help me gain weight. I don't think I've met anyone who loves his job more than this guy, who is part motivator, part educator, and simply an all-round fantabulous person.


Nurses rock! I can't imagine doing their job because it seems exhausting! This is Cami, she is just one of the many nurses who took very good care of me with great compassion, friendliness, and professionalism!



 Nurses in action!



My room number, which must be lucky as my transplant date was 9/24! Hmmm . . . maybe I should play the lottery. On second thought, why push my luck. I've have already won with the gift of new lungs, and the pleasure to be a patient for the J82 crew. Bless them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment